Specialty Statistics and Econometrics is established in 1951. The speciality graduates acquire a qualification that provides for them a realization as specialists in the designing, organization and conduction of specific surveys, the development of forecasts, market strategies and economic analyses. During the training process that is in line with the modern trends of statistical science and practice are acquired the following knowledge:
- knowledge and skills for specific approaches of collecting information on the basis of vast and sample surveys;
- knowledge of methods for analysis of the status, structure, causal dependence and trends of development of the social and economic phenomena and processes;
- knowledge of econometric modeling of the social and economic phenomena and processes;
- knowledge of statistical methods for the development of short, medium and long term forecasts;
- knowledge of the system of indicators for characterizing the national economy;
- knowledge in designing, building and maintenance of the computerized statistical information systems;
- knowledge of demographic phenomena and processes as also the methods for their diagnosis and prognosis;
- knowledge of statistical methods for analysis of the technological processes in the production and quality control of the production;
- knowledge of statistical methods used in the experimental work and in the marketing and sociological researches;
- Along with the profound learning of specialized statistical disciplines the training includes an advanced study of informatics in particular databases (storage and management).
The high level of theoretical preparation and practical skills enable the specialty graduates to work:
- At the system of National Statistical Institute as specialists in the methodology of statistical reporting, in the conduction of specific surveys, in the development of social and economic analyses necessary for satisfaction of the information needs of management bodies;
- At ministries and organizations as specialists in collecting, processing and analysis of social and economic information as also in building up of information systems;
- At companies and organizations in the conduction of statistical quality control, in the development of marketing strategies, in the rationale of investment decisions and analysis of financial status;
- At various financial institutions (banks, insurance, indemnity institutions and stock exchanges) as experts in making projections for the status and development of the financial phenomena and markets.
- At consulting companies including also the firms that conduct sociological and marketing researches;
- At scientific research institutes, laboratories, experimental facilities and as lecturers at Higher Educational Institutions and Secondary Schools..
The training is conducted in rooms equipped with computers using modern statistical software products (STATGRAPHICS, SPSS, Statistics, E-VIEWS, etc.).
The educational objective of Master`s degree training is to prepare specialists with high professional level of knowledge and skills in respect of: the nature of statistical approach as a specific form of cognitive process; the planning and organization of vast and sample surveys; the methods for statistical analysis of empirical information; the econometric modeling and its application in practice; the use of computers and statistical software packages for data analysis; the information resources about the statistic in the Internet. Significant contribution to the high quality of training has the wide use of computers. The department has two computer labs where 50 seats and 27 installed computers are situated as well as a permanent Internet connection.
The high theoretical preparation and the created skills for an independent work enable the Master's degree graduates to work in the following areas:
- at the system of the National Statistical Institute - as heads of administrative units directly involved in developing of the methodology for statistical reporting and the strategy for conduction of statistical analysis;
- at various ministries, departments and organizations as heads of units involved in satisfaction of the information needs of management bodies;
- at consulting companies and at sociological and marketing agencies;
- at scientific research institutes, laboratories, experimental facilities and other research units. Acquired knowledge and skills enabling the future master`s graduates to work in the field of development of statistical theory.